[OM] re: OM vacation and the M*miya 7II test!

Subject: [OM] re: OM vacation and the M*miya 7II test!
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:23:16 -0800
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into doing some travelling up and down the coast, since it is closer than, say AZ and UT. It should be fun.... Mike V, I didn't realize you are in Santa Cruz. Nice place.

As for the M*miya 7II, I rented it over the weekend and shot 50 exposures with it. 5 rolls of 120 film. I suspect most are lousy snapshots that are not worthy of the medium format neg that they are on, but at least I got a feel on using such a camera.

I am a pretty small person, hence the M*miya 7 since it is one of the lightest medium format camera. It looks and feels like a giant digi-cam like the oly C-3000 in some ways. The quietness of the shutter can be VERY appealing and addictive. Other than though, I found the weight and size to be just a bit much, and I have some trouble using the rangefinder (bringing back memory of using the XA way back when). It is also sort of weird to have part of the lens showing up in the rangefinder (I rented a 65mm to go with it).

All in all, unless the quality of the negs are spectacular, I don't think a MF is for me. Lets see how the pics come out.