Re: [OM] Available light on the cheap: Film is the only way?

Subject: Re: [OM] Available light on the cheap: Film is the only way?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 01:50:51 -0500
At 22:20 11/25/02, Richard F. Man wrote:

I think you're correct. In fact, I found a website where someone was getting pretty darn good result w/ ASA 3200 B&W pushed to ASA6400. It will be a while before digital can touch THAT.

Although I agree with your conclusion, a clarification about the B/W film is in order. The two B/W "3200" films I'm aware of are Kodak's TMax P3200 and Ilford's Delta 3200. Both of these films' actual ISO rating is nominally 800 (TMax is ISO 1000 with certain soups . . . TMax developer ??). They were designed to be pushed and at an EI faster than 800, they must be. Thus, at EI 1600, they're processed push 1, at EI 3200 it's push 2, and at EI 6400 it's push 3.

I've used TMax P3200 at EI 1600 and at push 1 it behaves much like Tri-X at its rated EI 400. Wide latitude with similar grain and decent tonal scale. Excellent for available darkness shooting blues bands in dimly lit nightclubs (including the stage). Just dumped in two rolls of Delta 3200 also shot at EI 1600 in the same dimly lit club to compare how it performs with the TMax. Fuji offers Neopan 1600 and touts a push capability to EI 4800. Similar to TMax P3200 and Delta 3200, Neopan 1600's nominal rating is ISO 640 and anything faster is a push.

-- John