Re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring?

Subject: Re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 01:25:28 -0800
I spent 3 weeks in Costa Rica in the rainy season, including lots of days in cloud forest and costal rain forest, without any ill effects on the camera gear. I took lots of silica gel packets pre-dried and sealed in double zip-lock bags. I kept a packet in a separate zip-lock with each body and lens whenever not using them and changed the gel packets frequently when equipment was used. I think that the inside of those plastic bags was the only place close to dry up in Rara Avis. Even fresh sheets were damp, and clothes never really dried. I saw a Nik*n electronic camera sort of self destruct, all the motors whirring out of control out in the rain forest. I guess it got wet enough inside to short out. Amazing place.

Moose

Roger Wesson wrote:

<>
I think it would be the rainy season down there right now, wouldn't it? If it's anything like Central America in the rainy season the humidity will be fearsome, but having spent nearly seven weeks in rainy season conditions a couple of years ago I heartily recommend silica gel packets - lots of them! My lenses have thus far survived a fair amount of extreme humidity without a trace of ill-effect - I always pack them with a sachet of silica gel each.