RE: [OM] Hi, my name is Rob and I'm a Zuikoholic...

Subject: RE: [OM] Hi, my name is Rob and I'm a Zuikoholic...
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:18:24 -0500
Rob,

Are you SURE you want a 500mm mirror lens?  I've had the Zuiko and a couple
of Tamrons over the years and I was never happy with any of them.  Their
performance vs. a prime all-glass lens is sub-par, IMO.  And I HATED those
doughnut-shaped OOF highlights.  You'd be better off with a Sigma Apo
400/5.6 for much less money.  I'd try to borrow or try one before buying.

OTOH, the 18mm is VERY NICE.  I hope you have a 21mm first though.  IMO,
the way to buy an 18mm is to use a much cheaper 21/3.5 and then find that
you often need just a little more FOV.  Otherwise, buying the 18 can be an
expensive learning experience.  The upside is that the resale is very good
on 18's.

Skip