Re: [OM] Is 4x6 the real standard?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is 4x6 the real standard?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:18:09 +0100
You definitely miss out on something, if you have never tried
darkroom work. You should give it a go sometimes, it is at least as
fun as taking pictures...and at least as time-consuming :)

As for scanning and doing the image manipulation digitally, I have
never really been happy with that. Probably my scanner is not quite
up to the task (CanoScan FS2710, I think), and probably I am not
quite up to the task either - it is a completely different way of
working, I think, when you are used to darkroom work.

I know that it is possible, for skilled people, to do great
manipulations on scanned slides. I just do not seem to have the
required skills. Anyways, I enjoy standing in the darkroom, and since
I am mostly in photography to have fun, I pick the way that I enjoy
the most...:)

Besides, and this is something that digital can never give, the
feeling of having spent a long time getting a print "just right" with
masking and afterburning and all, and then see the image slowly
emerge in the developer...it's almost a meditative process to me :)

But you just reminded me...I have a pile of slides from my recent
trip to Hawaii, that I have not yet projected. I guess there will be
after-dinner entertainment in that tonight :)

--thomas

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:06:05 +0800
"C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thomas, I agree with you about the prints, even I have never make a
> print myself, I expected it must be fun. The alternate way to get
> this fun is by scanning and adjusting it with PS, although it may
> not be as interesting as print it in the darkroom but better than
> nothing.
>
> C.H.Ling

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)