Re: [OM] 24-200? or 28-300mm?

Subject: Re: [OM] 24-200? or 28-300mm?
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:11:06 +0800
Marc,

Can you answer a question more vaguely??  ;-)

There has been talk that there is vignetting on the 24mm end, and a little bit of a pincushioning on the 200mm end; but from what she's got right now, it's a serious step up if that's what she'll be using.

24mm vs. 28mm buys me 84 degrees vs 75 degrees. I currently have a 28mm f2.8 and sometimes wished for a 24mm, not often, bu in certain situations; and so I've been looking at options of a zoom with a 24mm on the wide end. 200mm vs 300mm however, the 300mm doesn't seem to buy me as much as the 24 vs 28 does, and so I think the 24-200 is a better choice. It's still fairly compact, and 24mm-200mm should cover almost all the needs. So that's probably what I would go with.

I would like a Minolta 5, that's what I had set on, but the Minolta doesn't seem like a good choice now. First, I'm in taiwan and there's no minolta support here, (the 5 isn't even sold here..) and second, Minolta doesn't have a digital line, and so if that were a desire, there are no options.

So probably more along the N*kon line; as I hate C*nons with a passion, and also, N* gives me N*kon or Fuji or Kodak as digital SLR bodies. So a N*kon mount glass has quite a bit of advantages.

I have been using my telephotos more and more on my travels, my 90mm gets used more often then my 28mm now. So I guess it varies what perspective we each like. I'll have to ask her what she likes. With her unsteady hands however, I'm tempted to just give her a fixed 24mm and leave it at that. Or a very big tripod... ;-)

Albert