Re: [OM] Lens cleaning

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens cleaning
From: John and Julie Ockman <jrockman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:54:35 -0500
Bill and others,
 It is my experience that cotton balls for some reason pick up grit at
the wrong time. I buy Clean Room towlettes from micro-center.com. They
work great on all my lens cleaning, and absolutely no damage. These
towlettes are a spun polypropylene that is extremely soft.I took one and
tried! to scratch the lens coating of a an old Vivitar zoom that was
going to be trashed anyway. It took considerable force to do so. I also
always use canned air across the surface of the lens, followed by a
small camel hair brush used lightly. Canned air is never used on any
other surface of a lens. If you try blowing with high pressure air into
the rings you could redistribute grease to places you do not want them
to go, like onto the surface of a lens deep within. That means it goes
off to John or Clint, because no sane person goes after anything other
than the front or back elemants. Hey wait, we're Zuikoholics, what's
this about being sane?
Regards,
John