Re: [OM] 24-200? or 28-300mm?

Subject: Re: [OM] 24-200? or 28-300mm?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:43:19 -0800

I`d recomend nothing more than 28-90mm, with as wide apperture as
possible. This focal leghts are most ease of use, and so most promising to
get good results for most joy and a good experience when the first films come back. -By the way- What lenses are you currently using? -
Did you have a good /bad start into photograpy?
Don`t confuse with your further needs and your gf`s ones.

My beginner experience with a 4-5.6/60-300 zoom is like this:
Ah fine '135mm @ 1/250sec wide open' so I can zoom in to '200mm and 1/200 sec'
 Hmm, a bit closer would be fine ... Yeah -Klack-
 Ooops, shit again I went to 280mm @ 1/125sec ....

Nothing to blame the lens for I got a lot of nice shoots with this
lens, but 10 years later I'm converted to prime except for a 35-105.

Just my two ...

Frieder Faig

I agree completely. Even 35-70 or 80. If you need to get closer use your built in close up attachments, walk.

Short telephotos are sometimes compared favorably with primes for quality. I think that never happens with the 28 to 200 ilk.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California