Re: [OM] OT Sydney, Oz recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Sydney, Oz recommendations
From: "Michael R. Collins" <Michael.Collins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:18:16 -0500
Some thoughts on things to "shoot", from a three-week trip to Oz four (Australian) winters ago. Seconding some suggestions already offered.

Sydney area:
- Taronga Zoo (ferry from Circular Quay)
- Manly town both sea level and on the hills [all sorts of eclectic architecture] and beach (ferry from Circular Quay) - Sydney Observatory, on the west side of the south end of the Harbour Bridge [and do take one of the evening tours of the observatory, very interesting, try for a cloudless night :-) ] - the sightseeing bus tour that takes you around to the east and south, down to Bondi and Coogee and so on; you can hop off at any point and catch a later bus (every half hour or 45 minutes, perhaps?); excellent harbourside and seaside views

Katoomba/Blue Mountain area [day trip from the city]:
- Three Sisters
- a walk in one of the valleys - I recommend the "Grand Canyon" trail nr. Blackheath; you see tropical rainforest, all sort of waterfalls, rock formations, all lush colours; park your hire car at the point where you'll come up out of the valley, then walk to the starting point for the descent - you'll appreciate it three or fours hours later! - Jenolan caves - try to drive to and from in daylight, the road down from the highway to the caves is nasty at night; I had terrible pictures from inside the caves since I had no flash, don't make this mistake

Michael