Re: [OM] Vivitar S1 18-35 problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar S1 18-35 problem
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 08:02:58 -0400

> A while ago I bought a "used" (but actually new-in-box) Vivitar S1
> 18-35 at Henry's here in Toronto, and only today got around to
> opening the box and trying to use it. I wasn't getting any sensible
> exposure reading on the meter (OM-1 or OM-2n), so I took a close look
> at the lens mount. To my surprise, there's only one lever on the
> lens, the one to stop it down. The other, which tells the camera the
> aperture setting, is entirely missing. There's the usual slot in the
> mount where the lever would travel, but no sign of any mechanism, nor
> is there anything rattling around loose inside.
>
> Now - is this a design feature of some third-party lenses [if it is,
> I don't understand...], or is this one seriously defective? I'm
> puzzled!
>
> Michael

I suspect the lever that runs the aperture has fallen off. If it isn't
rattling around inside, then it has fallen out and is lost. The 3 parts
vivitar zooms I bought from Henry's all had the same problem,  but the
little lever had fallen inside the lens on all three, so was easily fixable.
Since yours was bought as a working lens, I'd send it back. You shouldn't
have any problems with Henry's.
Wayne