Re: [OM] Test slides from U.S. Southwest vacation...

Subject: Re: [OM] Test slides from U.S. Southwest vacation...
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:55:08 -0700
At 02:36 PM 11/28/2002 -0500, Warren Kato wrote:

>Another spot for my life list I think.  And don't you love that spotmeter!!

Yep, probably saved my bacon at White Sands -- although I had to remember the
exposure problem I might be facing *first*, of course...

I'd recommend early November for New Mexico.  The (to many) unbearable heat of
summer and early fall is over, the skies are clear for the most part (although
Santa Fe's weather was quite variable), and there's hardly any tourists.  White
Sands and Carlsbad, for example, were virtually deserted (which was quite eerie
at Carlsbad -- I walked down through the natural entrance for over a mile and
hardly met or heard a soul, which was actually kind of nerve-wracking...).
Santa Fe was calm, too, and the service people everywhere were relaxed and
friendly.

And the food?  Well, Carlsbad/Alamogordo was uninspiring for the most part, but
I ate at a place in Santa Fe called the Old Mexico Grill.  Thought I'd died and
gone to culinary heaven; Mexican cuisine as high art.  Inexpensive, too!  And
the best damn barbeque I've ever had in my life was at a place called "Cowgirls
Bar 'N Grill" in Santa Fe, where the sampler platter (ribs, chicken, brisket
and sausage) will leave you stuffed to the gills and yet beggin' for more.  ;-)
  Glad I didn't weigh myself before I went on vacation -- now I just have to
fast for a month...

Garth