Re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring? - Also, paging Dieg

Subject: Re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring? - Also, paging Diego Sierralta
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 20:56:56 -0800
You know, I'd never be happy on such a major photogenic trip without something longer than 100mm. Have you considered at least a 2x converter? A Vivitar 2x macroconverter would add real close-up to the 100mm and give 200/4 for tele shots. The longest lens I had in Central American rain forest was 200mm and there were plenty of times I wanted more. I had an old 3 or 4 element teleconverter, but it required stopping down to be sharp, limiting its usefulness. There were all these birds and butterflies. And then there were the other wonderful things that one can't just walk up to.

A word about binoculars. If you are actually going to be tromping through the rain forest, make sure you have a pair that focuses pretty close. I took a pair of Nik*ns that didn't focus closer than about 3 m. Fortunately, I also took a pair of light, cheap 7x25s that focus to about 1.2 m as backups. In the forest, I often found things I wanted to take a closer look at just out of reach in places where it wasn't safe or practical to get closer, so the binocs were in use a lot. The Nik*ns got very little use by comparison.

Moose

Olaf Greve wrote:

So, it's pretty much final now that I'll be bringing the following:
OM-4Ti
24/2
35-70/3.6
100/2
Extension rings (for pushing the 100/2's close-up capabilities somewhat
further)
T32
Light weight, small tripod
Worn down, small, low-cost, trashy looking camouflage back-pack Lots of zip
lock bags and silica gel bags