RE: [OM] Lens cleaning (acetone a carcinogen?)

Subject: RE: [OM] Lens cleaning (acetone a carcinogen?)
From: "Gary L. Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 22:44:09 -0600

>Acetone is a very strong carcinogen, I'd advise switching, Clint.

Umm, no.  Acetone (and other ketones) are made by the body.  Some diseases
are diagnosed by finding the smell of acetone on the breath.

Also, the solvent of nail polish and the chief ingredient of nail polish
remover, used daily by hundreds of millions of women, is acetone.  There
haven't been too many reports of women dying of cancer of the fingers.

The carcinogenic solvents are largely chorinated hydrocarbons, like the
now-banned carbon tetrachloride.  Some dry cleaning solvents were also
banned.  Liver cancer is the typical issue with chorinated solvents, just as
it is with alcoholism.

Joe Gwinn

Thanks, Joe.  I feel better now.  Worked my way through college in a
fiberglass boatyard.  Lots of acetone - no gloves back then.

Gary Edwards