Re: [OM] Lens cleaning (acetone a carcinogen?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens cleaning (acetone a carcinogen?)
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 00:28:23 EST
In a message dated 11/30/2002 10:44:14 PM Central Standard Time,
garyetx@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Worked my way through college in a
> fiberglass boatyard.  Lots of acetone - no gloves back then

My first job was working at a service station back in the days when service
meant something.  When you stopped in for gas, we checked your oil, the water
in your battery and radiator, washed all your windows, swept out the
floorboards and checked the pressure in your tires.  We also offered hand car
washes. The hands were mine.  Part of the car wash was cleaning your carpets
with a shop rag soaked in naphtha. Worked there for three years and soaked my
hands in a lot of naphtha.  While in the US Navy, the last year of my service
was patrolling the rivers of the Mekong Delta in the Republic of Viet Nam.
During this period of time we drank agent orange polluted river water.  Sure
it had been run through some diatomaceous earth filters, but it still looked
like river water to me.  Can't say that I sit around worrying about these
past exposures, however I do get myself checked out fairly regular and try to
stay away from things I know will harm me.  If someone knows that Dove Bars
are a carcinogen, please don't tell me.  Bill Barber