Re: [OM] Lens cleaning (acetone a carcinogen?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens cleaning (acetone a carcinogen?)
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 14:04:55 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike" <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 01 December, 2002 12:48 PM

> >Acetone is a very strong carcinogen, I'd advise switching, Clint.
>
> Umm, no.  Acetone (and other ketones) are made by the body.  Some diseases
> are diagnosed by finding the smell of acetone on the breath.....

Acetone still requires care. Using as a cleaner involves far higher
concentrations than the body may produce. Skin contact and breathing of
the vapors should be avoided. Also it should not be used with other
cleaning products. It can combine to form hydrogen floride or ammonia
for example.

And for heaven's sake do not spill the contents if there are any open flames
or furnace pilot lights at or below the level at which the spill occurs.
Acetone vapour is heavier than air and will form an invisible stream
downhill. When it reaches the flame the vapour will ignite and race back to
the source of the spill creating more fire.

jh