Re: [OM] Argus C-3, new to me!

Subject: Re: [OM] Argus C-3, new to me!
From: "Mickey Trageser" <vze3m2s8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 22:03:53 -0500
Jim,
Very nice photo, and part of a nice series as well. I believe the softness
may be attributed to the same problem one of my 2 C-3's had. Although the
focus control turned the lens mount, the lens barrel did not extend or
collapse to provide focus shifting. If turning the focus wheel doesn't cause
your lens to extend and collapse, you have the same problem.

The problem was that the screw thread holding the lens in the body had
loosened, therefore no longer holding the lens tight. The whole lens turned
instead of the part of the barrel that should. I loosened the center gear
cover a little, used a very small screwdriver to press against the brass
part of the mount that was exposed below the lens barrel and worked it until
I could extend the lens focus barrel far enough to remove the center gear
cover and gear. Then I unscrewed the lens from the body. I worked the focus
a number of times and it loosened up a bit. I cleaned the rear element and
mounted the lens on the body firmly. Setting the focus wheel to 3 and the
lens focus so the most clockwise part of the gear was near the 4, I replaced
the center gear at the last available notch and replaced the cover.

Your email brought back my own memories and caused me to pull out the 2 I
have aquired. I too am anxious to try out this camera. I learned on a
borrowed model in the early 70's. That first roll was like magic. Seemed
like all I needed was the camera and the film box instructions. I'm sure
that the results seemed so much better that what I was used to because I was
used to the fixed shutter speed and aperture of the brownie... Sharp
pictures and excellent color exposure. I was hooked.

The model I will use was given to me in a custom wooden case with flash
attachment, press bulbs, adapter for AG-1 bulbs and a few of them as well. A
custom leather ready-case and other interesting stuff. The other one
focuses, but the rangefinder has some problems and the shutter fires at one
speed only. I guess the mechanism that causes the lag is shot.

Interesting lens markings. The apertures are rated 3.5, 4.5, 6.3, 9, 12.7,
18. But the diaphram travel is more to both extremes.

By the way, sneaking this thing anywhere is like sneaking a brick around. I
think the XA would be more appropriate... :-)

-Mickey