Re: [OM] Argus C-3, new to me!

Subject: Re: [OM] Argus C-3, new to me!
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 22:40:42 -0500
Lama,
The Cintar lens on the C-3 is simple, but a good one and I rate it definitely above average and quite surprising for a camera that inexpensive in its era. I have a huge archive of my father's Kodachromes shot from the early 1950's into the early 1980's that are a testament to its sharpness and resolution. I would guess your sticky shutter is the culprit, or perhaps camera shake, or maybe a lens that someone has abused or reassembled improperly. It should be anything but soft.

The C-3 is the Ford Model A of cameras. Everything you need for a 35mm camera, nothing more and nothing less. The Argus cameras were born out of a radio company in Chicago. Demand for radios was seasonal and the owner of the company needed something to keep his bakelite production line for radio cases busy during the months with lower demand for radios. He hit upon the idea of making camera bodies, and thus the bakelite bodied Argus was born. If Oskar Barnack and his Leica A get credit for being the first successfully marketed still camera to use Edison size film, the Argus deserves credit for solidifying the format's survival. Millions of them were sold. You are using a piece of history and many, like me, have archives of slides bulging with family photographs from holidays and vacations shot with an Argus C-3.

-- John