Re: [OM] Saliva -- mankind's benefactor!

Subject: Re: [OM] Saliva -- mankind's benefactor!
From: Robert T McFetridge <rmcfet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 23:28:01 -0500
I regret making light of the spit debate. I agree that spit is not antiseptic.

William wrote:

snip
Don't spurn spit. It's Nature's Natural Solvent.

Sometimes, just plain water, or water with some mild detergent, works best for any given project. Saliva, however, contains bacteria. I sure wouldn't be using saliva on ANY optics. Fogging a lens with the breath is another matter. That's just water vapor.

Saliva on contact lenses? NOOO!!! Ask your optician. NOT GOOD! Sterile saline solution ONLY! Susan, help us out here! Saliva doesn't belong in cuts, either.... blood from a wound cleanses as well as anything, until you can get to soap & water and/or proper medical attention... geez... maybe we should hold a first aid course here! Never "spit" on a wound.

You guys are scarin' me now.

Rich

--
Robert T McFetridge