[OM] Concert photos

Subject: [OM] Concert photos
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 22:33:12 -0600
"I was thinking of using Portra or Supra 800. Has anyone got any
suggestions?"

You're started in the right direction. I highly recommend print film for
this situation, as it is far more forgiving in difficult situations. (but
see opposite recommendation below) I have used the Fuji 1600 film for night
street shooting, when every half stop counts. This is, of course, the theory
that a grainy photo is better than none at all. I would de-rate it to about
1200 for finer grain, as it gets really grainy when it gets thin.

However, this degree of effort may not be necessary. Many stage shows are
well-lit, as a super fast film isn't necessary. I would, however, recommend
something like the portra, as the contrast will be high enough without
making it more so with a film like supra.

Another possibility is tungsten film. There may be enough for kodak's 320
film, or you might use a 1600 film with filter, if I could remember the
factor for an 80A or B. There used to be a 640 ScotchChrome, but I don't
know if it still exists. Stage lighting is usually 3200K (although heavily
modified), so you would be right on the money. Just meter carefully and
bracket, bracket , bracket. Remember, if you use your camera's center
weighted meter, that there is a lot of black that will upset the metering,
and if you use a spot meter, compensate for the highlights.

Bill Pearce