[OM] Xpan theory

Subject: [OM] Xpan theory
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 00:22:55 +0800
I was thinking of the ultimate travel camera; and I was thinking that I might just take one lens next time and that's it.. I would love to have a 50mm or so, and maybe a 28mm if I took two instead of one. Then I thought about the xpan. The more I think about it, the more ingenious it is. With one lens and cheap 35mm film, I can do "real" panoramic shots. With that 45mm, it has the same coverage in pan mode as a 28mm. So a 45mm and a 28mm in one. Great.

The lenses are slow because they are actually medium format lenses.. Now check out this thinking..

Because the CCD's are smaller, so the image circle need not be so big, what if you had the same setup as the xpan, with CCD's?? That would mean (because the CCD's are smaller) that the lenses can be just as compact, but faster, and you can have a choice of pan or regular.. Make it 14megapixels and have a 3 gig card in there, and you are doing some serious travel logs..

If such a camera existed, I would almost certainly be taking that on trips instead of an OM....

Your thoughts?
Albert