Re: [OM] Lens flaw

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens flaw
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 18:04:18 -0800
So you haven't tried it yet since removing the hair from the back of the lens?

Do you have any other Oly bodies to see if it shows up on a different body?

It could still be something in the mirror box that isn't in the light path from the longer lenses but sticks into the path of the wide angle. Contary to what others have suggested, it doesn't have to be actually touching the film, just nearby.

The example you provided is shot in bright light. I can't tell where the lens is focused, but closer stuff seems maybe sharper than distant stuff. A 28mm lens stopped way down has a lot of depth of field. If it is focused in mid or close range, something on a lens hood or even sticking out from the filter threads, etc. could possibly give an almost in focus image on the film. When you look through the viewfinder, the lens is wide open, with less DOF, so you wouldn't easily notice something like that through the viewfinder. Remember that in a retrofocus WA design, the front of the front element can be quite a distance in front of the optical nodes.

I'm no repair expert, but pretty knowledgeable about camera/lens stuff and have done minor repairs on both. If you want to try another set of eyes, I may be nearby, as I live in Berkeley. Reply off list if I can help.

Moose

R. Jackson wrote:

BTW, I appreciate all the input on the subject. I'm a rank amateur despite a lot of years of taking photos and I tend to spend a lot of time chasing my tail when a problem pops up. I feel like my questions are just an annoyance to some of the more professional and experienced photographers here, so thank you for being patient and helpful despite my ignorance.