[OM] running the numbers

Subject: [OM] running the numbers
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:50:53 -0600
Bob said:
"Also, it is interesting that a 18mm has a FOV of 100 degrees - almost twice
that of the 50mm! ;)  and, if one is working on a system of halves, the 28mm
fits between these two.

This seems contrary to the 24-50-100 standard that many people employ. I
have found that I like the 18-28-50-85-135 group better, however I use the
28 and 85 most, with the 135 coming in next, but this is mostly for macro."

I, too, started out with the 24-50-100 system when I went OM (My first lens
with the previous system was a 35, but I kept to the system from then on),
but that was before brother Gries even existed. In the last 8-10 years,
though, I've changed. I'm with the 28-(opt. 35)-50-85-135 camp now. I have
both the 18 and the 21. The 18 was first, and since I 've added the 21, I
find I use it as the next wider lens, rather than the 18. Generally, I save
the 18 for interiors. I can say this: until about 4-5 years ago, I never had
owned a 28. Man, am I sorry I didn't get one sooner. I consider the 35 and
the 28 general purpose wides, that can be used without a great deal of "wide
angle perspective." The 24, 21, 18, and 16 require careful framing.

Bill Pearce