[OM] flash, ASF's digital PIC, Medium Format etc.

Subject: [OM] flash, ASF's digital PIC, Medium Format etc.
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 02:42:16 -0800
What a weekend. Now I remember another reason I sold my F280 so many moons ago - how we have came full circle!!!

We spent another (long) weekend in a science fiction convention. Lots of opportunity to take pictures of costumers. For the past year, I have been relying on fast primes but I still have to use ASA400 and sometimes ASA800 to get reasonable shutter speeds so I thought I will give the newly acquired F280 a try.

Some are good, but a good number has the full on flash symptom - e.g. the area immediately in front of the flash is a bit burned out. I will have to dig up the last reply to my flash inquiry now. I guess I will have to get a bracket and another flash. I was hoping that I can stay "light." sigh. What gets me is that pictures from my wife's C-3000 came out more evenly illuminated. grr...

I also took the two rolls of film to the beta Applied Science Fiction's DigiPIC station. It's the scan-and-destroy-your-negatives machine. It was quite a gamble to try it (eekkk no more negatives) but I knew that even at the best, most pictures will not benefit from scanning at higher res myself than what they claim they can do. On the whole it is a reasonable experience. The price is competitive with the price that I normally pay. A few dollars more but I get the pics in digital form (of course again you ONLY get the pics in digital forms). The built-in dye-sub printer is fast and the results look pretty good. The pictures look a bit more grainy when blown up, but it probably is just an artifact of Kodak Gold 100 vs. what I usually shoot, which is Provia 100F or 400F. I have one roll Fuji Superia 800 that was accidentally exposed at ASA1600 :-( and a good number of the pictures are half usable, especially for web display. I don't know if ASF will market the machines or not as this is only a trail period. Give it a shot if you have access to one.

Also picked up the MF prints. Ah, definitely some shot are lost due to my inexperience w/ the MF rangefinder, but the pics look oh so good, even at 4x6.... Nice.