Re: [OM][OT] Time out for a food...

Subject: Re: [OM][OT] Time out for a food...
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:09:06 +0000
I should not confuse TexMex dishes with Indian Siddiq.  Indian food
is far richer in taste than the average chilli (yes, I know, what's
verage?).  There is normally little in the way of exotic spices in
the chillis I have tasted in the US, (although I use roast cumin and
coriander with cayenne and chopped chillis in my own chilli con
carne).  I have a lovely vindaloo recipe which takes about 3 times as
long to complete as my chilli, mainly becauase of the amount of
preparation of garlic, ginger and all the spices.  I reckon a full
Kheema will have a few more spices than you have listed, although I
do understand that there is nothing really set in these affairs.
South Indian recipes will be "hotter" than elsewhere in India, but no
Indian recipe will be profligate with chilli or cayenne ... it's
taste that an Indian cook is after, not a new tongue coating ;-).