RE: [OM] High Speed Sync using Metz

Subject: RE: [OM] High Speed Sync using Metz
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:36:42 -0500
At 11:44 12/4/02, Richard wrote:
At 09:49 AM 12/4/2002 -0500, Skip wrote:
.....To Dream....The Impossible Dream.....

IOW, I'd be amazed if you can figure that one out.  With the low prices of
the F280, it's not worth it, to me.   The HSS-capabile Metz are pretty
pricey.  The Metz 54MZ-3 that does HSS with the Leica M7 is $350.00 in kit
form for Canon, Minota, Nikon.  The Leica version is $312+$60=$372.

You wouldn't be able to use it in HSS with an OM-4T or OM-3ti. Metz' only SCA module for the OM system supports only the three Shoe 4 contacts.

[snip]

Other choices for good flash? Looking at the archive, the Metz comes up a lot, although looks like the old "favoriate" Metz 40MZ has been replaced by the 54-MZ.

AFIK the 40 MZ-3i is still in production (along with another 40 MZ), although Metz seems to be excluding mentioning it while pushing the 54 MZ heavily to the upscale Wunderbrick with mondo zoom, and the digital market. Browse the major on-line stores; it's still there. Personally, I prefer the lower profile of the 40 MZ for bracket mounting and it doesn't have the enormous swing in GN from one end to the other end of its focal length settings.

-- John