RE: What's your standard setup? (was [OM] Mind Bender)

Subject: RE: What's your standard setup? (was [OM] Mind Bender)
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:05:37 -0700
If I'm on a specific assignment the equipment is selected for that specific
set of needs. Over the years some standards have evolved though.

If I'm backpacking, and not primarily there for photography, I usually take
an OM-1N with a 24mm f-2 and either an 85mm f-2 or a 135mm f-2.8. My mini
car kit or boat kit is an OM-2N with a 28-85mm f-2.8 and either a 60-300 or
a 100-500mm zoom.

My normal car kit is a fully stuffed LowePro OmniPro bag containing:

OM-4t or OM-3
OM-2N or OM-1
21mm f-3.5
24mm f-2
50mm f-1.2
85mm f-2
2XA
1.4X
28-48mm zoom
35-105mm zoom or 90mm f-2 macro
85-250 Zoom
T20 flash head
8X mini binoculars
Tape Recorder

This kit also has a LowePro Lens Case 5 with either a Zeiss 100-500 zoom or
a Vivitar 120-600 zoom. All this gear sits between the bucket seats or in
the passenger seat and is readily available for snap shooting. If long
distance critter shots are expected on short notice the 650-1300mm Exacta
zoom with its dedicated OM-1 and its special case go along too.

If I'm going to someplace where some serious photo opportunities can be
expected, the 350mm f2.8 and its special aluminum case go along in the back
of the van with another aluminum case usually containing the following:

OM-1 body with long telephoto compatible screen
17mm f-3.5
28mm f-2.8
35mm f-2
135mm f-2.8
180mm f-2.8
300mm f-4.5
1000mm f-11
2XA
1.4X

If I'm planning on doing field macro work a special bag containing the
following is added:

Variable extension tube
Extension tube set
20mm f-3.5 (usually stays home)
38mm f-2.8 macro
50mm f-3.5 macro (usually stays home on the slide duplicator)
80mm f-4 (if I had one but don't yet)
90mm f-2 macro
135mm f-3.5 macro
Ring flash

If significant flash photography is needed, another aluminum case is added
with:

2 T32 flash heads and attachments
2 Bounce-Grip 2 assemblies and cables
1 F280 flash and remote cable
I have a bag that the studio flashes and umbrellas fit in but they usually
stay home since I no longer do weddings.

If fast action or remote photography is anticipated another bag with motor
drives and remote actuators is added. Then, of course, there are the
tripods, monopods, groofwin pod, bean bags, reflectors, folding blind,
shoulder pods, some other camera supports and a cooler of beverage. This is
why I drive a full-size 4x4 van much of the time. I am embarrassed to admit
how often I take most of this stuff and use very little of it.

If I'm going for a walk in the park I take an OM2N with a 35-70 f-3.6.

/jim