[OM] ( OM ) Re: What's your standard setup?

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Re: What's your standard setup?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 21:54:24 +1300
Clemente asked

> Were you happy with the pictures taken by the 35-105 zoom?

I know the question wasn't directed to me, but I am a strong supporter of this
lens.

I have access to two of them if I want; one I bought new about 20 years ago
(about USD 225 then at current exchange rates), and one I bought as a very
grubby user for my daughter (cost about $75 USD in a local shop 5 years
ago) and which has cleaned up very well - and it's sharper and less prone to
flare than my "NIB" model (not that my one is prone to flare - it isn't. The
tests I did had the sun full-on in the lens.). Both are multi-coated, serial
number <500,000.

I find the zoom range allows me to take well-framed shots that I could
absolutely never consider with just one prime lens when optimum camera
position is impossible.

Time and geography constraints are minimised with this lens. In other words,
if you don't have the time (due to speed of action of the subject) to get in to
the best position for a prime lens; or there's a cliff or a rock wall in front
or
behind that limits where you can walk, this lens will get you a good result in
many cases. The one-touch zoom action is very fast and easy to use. After
20 years mine has not yet developed "zoom creep".

Also the "macro" mode, though not really macro, is also very useful for close-
ups although the dimming in this mode can be an obstacle where light is a
little lacking.

I find it acceptably sharp for snapshots at 5x7 inches, and with a tripod it
should go higher quite satisfactorily. I haven't often enough put it to the
enlargement test to say anything about that.

Probably many prime lenses are sharper. It is quite contrasty. Gary Reese
has tests of it here.

http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default_m.htm

Brian