Re: [OM] HELP ! Zuiko Lenses, reversing for Macro, and Digital ...

Subject: Re: [OM] HELP ! Zuiko Lenses, reversing for Macro, and Digital ...
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 19:33:36 +0100
On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:22:10 -0000
"Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Well, it's advice time again.  A good friend of mine has just
> acquired himself a new Digital Camera.  Sorry to say it's not an
> Olympus (despite my pushing him towards the E-20 !).  It's a N*k*n
> Coolp*x 5700.  On it he has some sort of arrangement (looks like it
> just slides over the lens ?) to hold any filters he wishes to
> attach.
>
> Now comes the tricky part.  He has learned that Zuiko lenses are
> particularly good for Macro stuff, and has expressed an interest in
> obtaining a 50/1.8 and fitting it backwards onto the filter ring of
> this camera.  Apparently this should work (any comments ?).

It does work. I have done it, with reasonable success, on an Olympus
C3030z.

Your friend will probably need some step-up-down ring
arrangement....or, and this is my favourite, get some Cokin filter
"rings" (those for mounting their square filters) and some epoxy.
It'll be cheaper than a real "reverse-ring", and will also be way
cooler (you can customize it, rather than use a combo of step-up-down
and reverser rings....

And any cool hardware hack requires epoxy (and a dremel, preferably -
sanding off the excess epoxy, perhaps?) anyways....

> So my real question is, is this possible, will it work to any
> degree of quality at all, and is there such a thing as a reversing
> ring like this (ie it has the "positive" filter thread on each end
> of it !) ?  OK, so that's 3 questions in one - sorry !

Well, as I said, Cokin and epoxy. I've build a number of weird things
that way. You should be able to get by with somewhere in the amounts
of 20-30 USD.

He will be able to get decent results - with care, even good results,
I think.

--thomas

> Anyway, any help is as always appreciated.  It's his Birthday
> coming up very soon, and I thought that I may be able to do
> something along these lines ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

  Thomas Heide Clausen