RE: [OM] Developers - AAAAARRRGGGHH !

Subject: RE: [OM] Developers - AAAAARRRGGGHH !
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 13:44:26 -0500
I do the same as Ian, but I check the prints before leaving the
establishment (a drugstore). If prints are too yellow (quite often when
I use available light), or don't reflect what the negs look like, I go
to the person at the counter, and they always send them back for free
proper reprinting. They usually charge 5.99 Canadian for developing and
processing for 24, with an extra set of prints for just 99 cents.

I don't use 1-hour processors generally. I figure big labs have better
quality control.

I've been told that quantity prices for chemicals and paper these days
are very cheap, at least in Canada. That 4x6 print costs them less than
5 cents Canadian for chemicals and paper.

tOM

On Thursday, December 05, 2002 at 18:20
IanG <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I shoot colour neg, 1/3rd stop or more underrated, and put the roll through
> the cheapest lab I can find (about £4 at the local chemist). The prints, I
> give to my wife, and then I scan the negs, play with them in Photoshop and
> print the occasional one on an Epson 880 (cheap, cheerful and better than
> the labs can do). Mostly I just show them on the computer.
>
> This week I shall be sending a few of my scanned files off for printing by a
> lab - hopefully to get high quality prints.
>
> Standard lab printing is not good but I've never yet had a truly badly
> developed film back. I've found neg to have a number of advantages over
> slide... easier to expose, easier to scan, the set of prints act as both big
> contacts and as a colour guide and finally my wife gets a set of prints all
> of her own.
>
> I'm using a Nikon Super Coolscan and it has been able to get details off
> both negs and slides which has surprised me...
>
> regards
> Ian
>
> PS I've also scanned archived stuff although one downer is that all the
> relatives and neighbours want their stuff copied and 'improved' now.

---- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur ----
   ,__@ tOM A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-
6115
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada
K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)                ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714
safety." -- Benjamin Franklin