Re: [OM] High Speed Sync using Metz

Subject: Re: [OM] High Speed Sync using Metz
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 00:27:21 -0500
At 03:23 12/4/02, Richard F. Man wrote:
I am looking at the Metz flash units. I understand that their standard OM adapter (SCA321?) does not support the Super FP Sync on the OM-3/4Ts. Fine. So it is a small market. The question is what does it take to get it to work? Is it possible to modify a SCA-321 somehow to get the Metz unit to fire in HSS mode? Is this an impossible dream?

If I understand Metz' SCA system correctly, I believe HSS requires the additional flash head interface contacts present in an SCA3000 or SCA3002 series module. If it does, it would require modifying one of those modules with the proper number of contacts in the correct locations. You'd have to reverse engineer an SCA-321, implement that in a suitable SCA-3000 module, then figure out how the HSS is controlled, design the necessary additional circuitry for it and add that too. AFIK there's zero documentation floating around about the Metz' SCA modules and the interface with the flash heads. I started to reverse engineer an SCA-321 once, and eventually threw in the towel. It's not straightforward. There *is* some circuitry beyond just wires inside it, and IIRC it uses much more than three contacts between module and flash head to translate an OM Shoe 4 to Metz' SCA-300 interface with their flash heads.

Ugh!  My brain hurts just thinking about it.

-- John