Re: [OM] OM vs. Leica

Subject: Re: [OM] OM vs. Leica
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 23:27:25 -0800
At 01:24 PM 12/6/2002 +0800, Albert wrote:
I would like to have both of us take the same shots, me representing the OM and Zuiko group. We'll see how the OM stacks up against the Leicas. I don't have a tripod here, no doubt he does, and so I think that will make the bigger difference, whether or not both of us shoot off tripod, or if only one of us does. (I have no doubts mine on tripod will beat his without one in sharpness). What do you guys think? I think he's definitely got the Summicron 50mm, and I think at least another 35mm that I know of...

As much as I love the Zuikos, I bet the Leica will win on the following situations:
- Low shutter speeds. This would show up even on 4x6 prints, I bet
- Low light wide open shots. The Leicas are optimized for the wide apertures
- quiet shutter. Apparently, Tiger Woods' caddies just chuck an amateur photog's gear down to a lake for making that clicking sound at the wrong moment. A leica or any RF really, would be a big plus here. - that "decisive" moment thing. With not much experience w/ using a RF, I don't really know how that works. Certainly, I don't see much evidence of this style of photography from the *amateurs* pics on the webs.

So avoid those four and I bet you can give it a good run for the money, especially your Tokina is even less expensive than the Zuiko and the price/performance ratio is no comparison.