Re: [OM] OM vs. Leica

Subject: Re: [OM] OM vs. Leica
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 00:11:54 +0800
You all took my comments wrong. I am not and do not knock the Leica Cameras. I have quite a few friends that have them, and they are tanks, and their quality is second to none.

But regardless how they are, you have to think that these things can do the dishes, walk the dog, take out the trash, and impregnant your wife, the way some of them speak about it. Good quality? Yes. Great lenses? Some of the best. God manifesting itself in 6 inches? I don't think so.

I find that certain brands of things, (Leica, HK for guns, etc..) that these people elevate these things above the clouds...

Also, I know quite a few people who take seriously SERIOUSLY bad pictures and they own a leica, hasselblad, contax etc... I've seen good pics out of a point and shoot, and I've seen bad pics out of a Leica. It's the shooter that places the biggest roll. My friend who has a leica, he told me, "I just bought a Leica, and a Summicron 50mmf2!! Now my pictures are going to be the best in the world." Err... No photo experience, etc... and this was his comment. Obviously, someone has sold him on the fact that it's the camera and not the photographer that makes the pictures. His pictures?? HORRIBLE. His friend (who bought a Hasselbald 903SWC) took some of the worst photos I've seen, and he's seen. Sold the camera, said it SUCKED... Err.. Are you sure it was the camera and not the dunce behind it?

All I'm saying is, a good photographer forgets about the camera and is in touch with the subject, I find to a certain extent, RF's tend to do that more then SLR's. Leicas are great if you have the $$$, if not, then you won't die if you don't own one (contrary to what my gf's uncle has told her).

Again, good glass, but I'll bet you if I shot my OM on a tripod vs a Leica in shakey hands, I'd have the same quality if not, better picture qualities.

Again, I've tested it before; Me OM1n + 50mmf1.8, Friend #1 Minolta9xi + 50mmf1.7, Friend #2 LeicaM6 + 50mm f2.0 Summicron. All shot off the same tripod at the same subject. Same film, same development. We laid it out on the table. COULD NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE. None of us could pick it out. So while I'll buy that maybe the Leica Bokeh is generally more pleasent, I have to say that I'm not convinced that other aspects don't play more critical of a roll in the overall quality of the pictures; photographer and tripod, to name the two biggest ones..

Albert