RE: [OM] OM vs. Leica

Subject: RE: [OM] OM vs. Leica
From: "John Wheeler" <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:30:30 +1100

Albert wrote on Saturday, December 07, 2002 7:01 PM

I'm not annoyed at the Leica cult, I'm annoyed at the fact he preaches
"Buy this camera and all your photographic troubles will go away."  It
just so happens that he has attached it to the Leica name.

G'day Albert,

On our last October long weekend my wife and I took some American friends
down to Manly (Sydney ocean beach suburb and holiday resort) for the annual
jazz festival. I needed to take a longish lens and, as the OM mount Vivitar
135 recently bought from the 'bay was in bits, I decided to give my M3 and
f4.5 Hektor an outing. Using 100 neg colour film and the day being pretty
dull I was hand-holding at 1/125 and 1/60. The 4X6 prints were tack sharp
and yeah, had that Leica 'glow'.

This Leica was bought by me forty years ago en route to a two year sojourn
in the UK, is still silky smooth (was CLA'd around 1975) and you have to
listen carefully to be sure the shutter has fired 'cos you sure can't feel
it!

With my recent (last eighteen month) attack of OM virus I've had a number of
troubles in producing a succession of half-way decent results (I'm still
plugging away in a sort of dogged fashion) so one can attest that it's
indeed true that one's photographic problems just 'go away' when reverting
to these lovely, lovely machines. And yes, Henri C-B is still my favourite
photographer.

John.