RE: [OM] Day out with friends

Subject: RE: [OM] Day out with friends
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:14:41 +1100
> Mike Veglia [mailto:msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> The new Olympus C-50 is quite cute....

I've been tossing up between the 4 megapixel Canon G3
(which'll use my Canon 380EX flash with full E-TTL
compatibility) and the 5 megapixel C-5050 for my first
digital camera (the D60-suggestion causing my partner to
laugh hysterically, vomit up their own stomach, and then
bludgeon me with my own OM1, in repeating stages, until
I retracted ;-) )

I finally decided that I like the size and unobtrusiveness
of the the Olympus, and that, as the camera is to *supplement*
my Canon EOS, Olympus OM1 (and little-used OMPC) and Olympus
35RC (Lovely camera! Buy one! Cheap as chips!), the extra
megapixel and the fact that if I'm willing to carry around
a big flash than I'm willing to carry around film and
50E in those circumstances (and the C-5050 has a built-in
for "fill" as well), well....you can see where this is
heading.

I've decided pretty much to go with the C-5050 (are you
there Wayne Culberson? It's probably not "perfect", but for
me, having looked, it seems close enough). Having finally held
that compact little body in my hands, and felt the "glove"
effect (one I've only previously got from the 35RC), the
heart may be overriding the mind in some areas. These views
*may* change on use. I *have* seen a suggestion that the
C-5050's lens is not as sharp as the G3's, but I'm wondering
if the extra megapixel compensates.

Still, what else is credit for? ;-)

Cheers
Marc