[OM] Having just come home from a xmas party, I many be too drunk...

Subject: [OM] Having just come home from a xmas party, I many be too drunk...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 22:29:09 -0600
...but I'll still respond, even this is really off topic.
"Two vacation cameras:  The one I've been pining over, the Fuji GW690III,
or the Hassey SWC903/905."
Wow, what a weird choice!

Both are highly regarded, but remember, they're both really wide angle, so
as a vacation camera may be limited.

Once you have the bigger negative, you really understand the saying that
racers use: there's no substitiute for horespower.  A Leica just can't
compete with a Yashica 124. I find that I use cameras as the job requires. I
always go for the biggest negative, then move on. There are things where a
35 excells: macro, quick shooting, etc. There are things where a 6x6 does
better, where the big negative is better, for lack of grain, and a
smoothness of tone. MF and LF are siren songs, indeed.

As I have said earlier, I am sadder but wiser, as 'blad prices are falling.
The 905 uses a different lens, as the glass in the earlier lens used lead or
some other problematic heavy metal, and   Zeiss couldn't afford the special
melt that would produce a ten year supply of lenses. 903's and earlier have
lenses that are essentially identical, that is to say of the highest
calibre. The 38mm lens of the superwide is indeed a legend.

On the other hand, the Fuji "Texas Leicas" are also highly regarded. They
lend themselves to more panoranmic shots, as they are not a square format
(duh!), but that's usually the requirement. I'll leave the bokeh discussions
to others in this case.

If you were to buy a SWC, I would recommend one with a T* lens, as the
multicoating is more vaulable with WA lenses. Then, you already have the
back, a start on a Hasselblad system. If you are not interested in going to
MF, then the Fuji is probably better.

Of course, if you've never contact printed an 8x10 negative, you will
probably stay with 35.

Bill Pearce