Re: [OM] In praise of the OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] In praise of the OM-4Ti
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:48:06 -0800

On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 10:15  AM, Robert Gries wrote:

I'm a guy whose pretty slow to change, and if I can do it the hard way,
that is usually what I do.  I have been using OM-1 bodies mostly for my
architectural work as I know that I can rely on their performance in any
weather, and I especially like the MLU.

However, since I purchased my first -4Ti I have slowly been gaining an
appreciation for the electronic shutter in conjunction with the spot
meter and exposure times longer than 1 second which I sorely missed when
I switched from a N*kon F3.  in the past I was using a stop watch to
time my exposures and would bracket at least 1-1/3 stops up and 2/3
stops down just to make sure I got the right exposure.  Recently I have
been testing out the OTF metering on the shift lenses.  Thanks to this
list, I discovered that Olympus' superior method of light measurement
could guarantee almost perfect shots every time.  In the past, I would
use the manual metering which only worked when the lens wasn't shifted.
In fact, now that I completely trust the meter to expose exactly (and
sometimes even better than what I would have done) every shot is done
with maybe 2/3 stops up and 1/3 stops down.

One feature that is particularly useful when photographing stained glass
is the spot meter and memory functions.  In some pieces that vary in
exposure and opacity, and whose surrounding area will appear black next
to the window, I have been able to do one or two spots on the areas of
interest, set the memory, and use the exp. compensation dial to bracket
exposures. This may seem like old hat to some of you, but it had been a
God send for me! ;)

-snip

Robert G. Gries

Yep. I went from a Leica M3 to Canon F1 to the OM4T. The control is amazing and so easy. Much easier than a computer operated camera. It really is just about the perfect camera. Thanks for bringing it up. The siren song of the new makes you lose sight of what you have.