[OM] New e-mail address

Subject: [OM] New e-mail address
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 15:41:51 -0800
I've finished (I hope!) switching from cable broadband service to DSL, so I have a new e-mail address for the list.
I'm now olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Is it just me, or is tech support in general getting better? My last few encounters with 'phone support have been with competent, pleasant and helpful people. Bless them for making my life more pleasant.

For Windoz users:
I haven't been very active on the list 'cause I've been pretty busy, partly with the DSL install. It was much more long and painful than I expected. For one thing, you have to install filters to separate the voice and data parts of the signal. Of course I have an elderly and indestructable WE wall phone in the kitchen that's hardwired so I couldn't use the modular plug filters they sent. I can now inform you that it works to split the line only once, with all the voice only lines coming off one filter, rather than liberally spreading little filters around the house.

Also, if you sign up with SBC/Yahoo, their setup installs a program called 'Connection Manager' to start up and monitor the DSL connection. This little gem was taking almost 5 minutes to start up!! A call to support got me a very nice old pro woman in Oklahoma who pointed out that this program isn't needed at all and how to bypass it. She also mentioned that it actually doesn't work at all under XP. Since I'm getting a new XP machine this week, that's valuable knowledge.