RE: [OM] Day out with friends

Subject: RE: [OM] Day out with friends
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:16:09 +1100
> Mike Veglia [mailto:msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> I would take a serious look at the C-50 also.

You're not helping ;-) I'm trying to narrow down the range!
Seriously, I have looked fleetingly at the C-50, but thought
that for a couple-hundred bucks extra (AUS$) I liked the
marginally wider aperture available on the 5050, and, to be
honest, the size and (apparent) handling of it. I zoomed over
the C-50 giving it the (innacurate pre-) judgement of "just a
point-and-shoot digital for those folks who want 5megapixel
but don't want the "confusion" and size of the C-5050".
I'll be a litte more thorough and do some more research
(like finding out that the C-50 is quite a solid, little,
metal camera!)

> Meanwhile, next time your partner isn't looking, the Fuji
> Finepix S2 looks sweet!

Nah, I'm waiting for the EOS 1Ds for compatibility with my
current lenses...oh, and according to said partner, I'm also
waiting for hell to freeze over :-)

> Wayne Culberson [mailto:waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> I'm still not sure which way I'll go, as I'm having trouble
> justifying the extra dollars for the Oly C-5050 over the
> C-4000. I'm not sure what that extra megapixel will do for me
> for what I'll be mostly using it for, and some of the other
> extras don't mean a lot to me right now.  But since
> digital is all new to me, go with your heart, not what I think.

I admit to thinking the same. In the end though, I think I fall
on the side of "more grunt" without actually knowing whether I
need it, but knowing that I'll be disappointed if I don't get it.
This extends to that feeling of having your technology superceded
too soon, ignoring the "need" factor again. Stupid, arrogant
heart! Bloody, weak-kneed mind! :-)

I think if I went 4 megapixel, economic advantage (use of Canon
380EX flash) would force me to jump towards the Canon G3, and
I know that camera wouldn't be a letdown (that bit's a reply to you,
Skip! I've read the review at dpreview.com just after telling
Wayne that they didn't have one!). Clemente, the G3 probably
compares with the 4040 if you're comparing megapixels, but price
(and even a review I read somewhere) puts it against the 5 megapixel
cameras such as the 5050 as well. I'm just not sure if that
megapixel makes a difference to the likely 10x8"s (A4's)
I'm likely to print from it, and, if it does, if it compensates
for the suggestion I read somewhere that the Canon G3 has sharper
optics. So, my "final decision" is more a "bite the bullet" than
a purely logical decision.

...and, to be honest, the C-5050 *looks* the best to me ;-)

I'll definitely be keeping my 35RC, and also my OM1 and 50/1.4
babies if we're talking *real* low light :-) (oh, and my EOS 50E
of course ;-) )

Cheers, and thanks to all for your helpful opinions and ideas,
Marc
Sydney, Oz