[OM] Albert, Albert, Albert....

Subject: [OM] Albert, Albert, Albert....
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:21:53 -0600
Your quest for a MF travel camera is more and more complicated, thanks to
all of us!

Everyone that has pointed out the divergent nature of your two choices is
quite right. Should you have steak or chicken? Buy a car or truck? The
question involves the discussion of horses for tracks.

Of all the cameras mentioned, only one is not a rangefinder, and all but one
are compact, albeit to different standards. The Hasselblad is a scale
focusing camera, unless you have the sometimes hard to find back adapter. To
use this, you must take off the back, so tripod use is essential. To use the
camera hand held, you use the accessory VF, which some consider only a vague
reference, though with a lens this wide, may not be a problem. In any event,
it is quite compact. This body and a 220 back could serve your need, but
there are limitations, no meter for one.

All the others are rangefinder focusing, and generally compact. The Fuji is
large by OM standards, but not so big by F5 standards. There are several
different formats. The Fuji, and M7 are rectangular, landscape orientation.
The M6 is square, while the Bronica is 6x4.5, portrait orientation. I like
the Bronica, and I have a friend that uses it professionally to good result.
For most people, though, the orientation is a problem, as most photos are
wide rather than tall.

Both Mamiya's have well regarded lenses. Both are fairly compact. Both
present some ergonomic challenges that the Bronica doesn't (It's really well
thought out in regard to loading and lens changing). The Fuji has highly
regarded lenses, but remember, you don't get that many shots to a roll.

I would like to suggest that you reconsider. I was seriously thinking about
a MF travel camera, and had narrowed it down to the M6, but then realized
that I have sufficient camera systems, and don't want to carry that much
gear. I now carry the OM4, Xpan, and a lens or two each. The Xpan gets a
bigger pano neg, but is light and has small lenses. I think you should
travel with the OM and one or two lenses (the 28-48 and 35-105 come to
mind). This will allow you to more easily meet the goal of "f8 and be
there."

Bill Pearce