[OM] fill flash and burned-out faces

Subject: [OM] fill flash and burned-out faces
From: "gries" <gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 08:46:35 -0600
Richard:

The ONLY way to get exact exposure with flash is by using the manual
guide numbers.  However, if you are looking for acceptable results with
any of the AUTO flash techniques, the best thing to do is to select an
aperture that is just below your sync speed.  On an OM-4 this means
having the ability to select 1/3 stop below 1/60.  although the meter in
the camera may not be perfectly accurate as to the indications of the
AUTO function (that is, whether or not the flash will fire as it may
have enough ambient light) I have never had a problem.

I would recommend shooting print film as it is usually a lot more
forgiving on faces than any slide film.  Some object to the occasional
cool cast of the Fuji 4-layer films, but I have always been pleased.
You can try any of the Kodak Portra films for guaranteed success.
However, the best general lighting is always diffused.  In indoor
situations, I will bounce a T-32 off the ceiling, and have always been
able to get f8 when shooting in the 200-400 ISO range.  If you are out
doors, then you can fashion a bounce card and it will work the same way.

There is no need to spend any more money than you have already invested
to get great shots.  Also, if you wanted the slow sync that the M7 is
touting, you can tape over the contacts as seen here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/0.000000E+00wiskerke/artikelen/faqeng.html#flash

Enjoy!