RE: [OM] Zuiko 50/ vs Noctilux again

Subject: RE: [OM] Zuiko 50/ vs Noctilux again
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:01:55 -0500
The lens in the auction is a 6-element 50/1.2 Noctilux, not the current
formulation lens.  The f/1.2 was introduced in 1968 and needed aspherical
surfaces to accomplish it's speed and quality.  Back then, making aspheric
surfaces was pretty costly vs. spherical ones, so the lens was very
expensive and a low volume item.  It was made until 1976 at low production
numbers until the current 7-element f/1.0 version was introduced in 1976.
The f/1.0 lens has no aspheric surfaces, which reduced it's manufacturing
costs.  It uses newer glasses and "air-lenses" to replace the need for
aspheric surfaces.  The formulation has remained unchanged for 24 years,
although I'm sure that underlying glass making, coating technology, and
manufacturing precision has improved.  The lenses were designed and are all
still made in Canada at Elcan's Midland, Ontario plant.

FYI, the f/1.2 lens doesn't perform as well as the f/1.0 version and is
typically left to the collectors.

Skip