Re: [OM] Zuiko 50/ vs Noctilux again

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 50/ vs Noctilux again
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:26:15 -0800
At 03:19 PM 12/11/2002 -0800, Winsor wrote:
As someone once said you can spend $4000 on a new Leica and lens and get a small improvement in your pictures or you can spend $4000 on a medium format camera and get a HUGE improvement in your pictures.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

That's a good rule of thumb, but not ironclad. For example, MF is heavier and less convenient to use. I rented a Mamiya M7II just to see how it handles, and I can never be as comfortable with it on the type of shooting I do, than with the OM or possibly a Leica. Of course if I get a MF, my shooting style will probably change too. So different tools for different needs!

The way I see it, if you are already shooting a SLR, the Leica buys you quieter and faster shutter (decisive moment), lower hand held shutter speeds, and possibly better performance on big enlargements or wide open apertures. If none of these interest you, then there's the snob appeal and the Leica glow.