Re: [OM] flash and burned-out faces

Subject: Re: [OM] flash and burned-out faces
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:59:00 -0800
At 03:22 AM 12/12/2002 -0400, John Hudson wrote:
> > >The ONLY way to get exact exposure with flash is by using the manual
> > >guide numbers.  [snip]
> >
> >Actually, there is an even better way, although it too is manual:  Use a
> >flashmeter to meter incident (not reflected) light right at the subject,
> >and set the camera accordingly.  This is *very* reliable, and cannot be
> >fooled by bright faces or dark backgrounds.
>
> OK, so how would I fire a on camera flash like the F280 and trigger the
> light meter? I understand how to do this with Studio flash but not shoe
> mount flash!

The flash meter route pre-supposes that one can control the power output of
the flash gun. In the case of the F280 it is basically a point and shoot
flash with no manual over ride on power output. An on-camera flash gun with
manual over ride is the Vivitar 285HV and with this flash the flash meter
route takes on a whole new meaning. Other than for point and shoot
convenience my F280 is a major disappointment considering the excellence of
the camera for which it is designed.

I feel like playing the game "Twenty Questions :-)" and going around in circles. OK, may be I am asking the Qs the wrong way, lets start again... first of all, this is not about fill flash, but situations that plain need flash...

Lets say my goal is to be able to get reasonable looking flash pictures, w/o the frontal burnout, sounds like
A) I should back off a bit and use a longer lens (e.g. 85mm), or
B) If the background is deep, dial in a -0.5 to -1.5 compensation. This tells the camera not to overexpose the front.

OK So far? Now in the quest of Flash Heaven, AND I already own a flash meter, AND I don't mind getting another flash, say, the Metz 54-MZ3. I can then:
A) Put a reflector/diffuser and bounce away, or
B) Use the manual GN and calculate distance, aperture and shutter, or
C) Use the Flash meter to do what? How do I meter what the Metz-54 output? Is there a trigger outlet on the Metz? Or do I just press the Test Button?

I feel like a blind man trying to understand what an elephant looks like from different sighted persons describing different parts of the elephant :-O