RE: [OT] L*I*A - Was [OM] Zuiko 50/ vs Noctilux again

Subject: RE: [OT] L*I*A - Was [OM] Zuiko 50/ vs Noctilux again
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:13:31 -0800
This is my last Leica word in this thread (unless poked with a sharp stick).

Yes, the Noctilux blocks a lot of the VF, I'd estimate about 30%.  It's the
price you pay.....

I know many of M7 users who actually USE their cameras....A LOT.  It's
fabulous tool for the dedicated M rangefinder shooter to be freed from
constant recalculation of exposure in changing lighting conditions.  Yea,
it's the same basic technology that was used in the OM-2 back in 1978.   So
Leica's 24 years behind, what else is new?
I have an M3 too, which is a great tool, but it's not an M7, nor is an M7
an M3.
I'm ashamed that the Leica community has become the pervue of the radical,
stuck-up, cultish, old-snobby-men, clubby people that now poke their head
out.  And it's a shame that Leica has decided that it has to survive by
prostituting themselves, creating whatever special edition of their
products someone is willing to pay for.  OTOH, they still make a superior
product that is superbly designed for a small number of photographic tasks.
And they still make some of the best lenses in the world.  And the
dedicated photographers who use M cameras still find them very effective
tools and unlike anything else.

So I decided to invest in the Leica M system and it works well for me.  I
also decided in 1974 to invest in the fledgling Olympus OM-1 and it's
innovative OM-System.  Both systems serve me well for different purposes.

Skip

Well said, Skip. As wonderful as my OM4T is to use with its spot meter and aperture preferred automatic and its quiet refinement and size compared to other SLRs, there was no more solid, refined, instinctive, easy to use camera than my old M3 with clip on MR meter, if you did not mind being limited to a focal length that fit on it. The M7 just makes it more so.

Parenthetically, the Visoflex was certainly not up to the rest of the camera. More like a piece of college lab equipment than something you would want to use in the field.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California