Re: [OM] MF for travel

Subject: Re: [OM] MF for travel
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:20:49 -0800
Obviously, only the photographer can decide whether the improved image quality of MF outweighs all the obvious disadvantages of a larger format. (Don't forget that National Geographic's photographic reputation was built on a base of 35mm Kodachrome.)

Consider this... You don't go on vacation to do "serious" photography. If taking great pictures _is_ the whole point of your travel, then MF makes sense. If not, stick with 35mm.

If there were a pocket-sized 645 RF camera, I'd recommend buying one and using it for shots that justify or require the larger negative. But I don't know of one.

Of course National Geo is a small format magazine.

It would have been wonderful to see what Maitani could have done with miniaturizing a 645. Of course to be small it would have to be slower and you would need to carry that tripod.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California