Re: [OM] flash and burned-out faces

Subject: Re: [OM] flash and burned-out faces
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:19:36 -0800
At 10:52 PM 12/12/2002 -0600, Paul D. Farrar wrote:
...The procedure is
1. 400 or 800 ISO print film. 400 for brighter venues.

OK, in fact, I was using the slide film for that particular set of pictures

2. Set everything auto. Wide diffuser on flash for evenness.
3. Find a representative scene with no lights in it. Set an aperture that
gives
a shutter speed of about 1/30. Since the actual shutter speed will be 1/60,
areas not dominated by flash will not black out. You should be able to get
about f4-5.6. Then leave the aperture ring there.

Heh, if I get 1/30 w/ f4-5.6, I will probably just shoot w/o flash! But I get your point....

4. Shoot away.

Or buy a 3Ti, the only OM properly designed for indoor flash.

OK, AFAIK, the only difference is that the 3Ti does not set the shutter to 1/60th right? If so, can't I accomplish the same thing by doing the OM-4 slow sync hack and tape over the frontmost right contact?

Modern Metz units are handy because they have a large number of closely
spaced auto and manual settings, and the auto ones don't shift with ISO.
T20's and T32's auto and manual settings are much too strong, too few,
and too closely spaced for balancing with indoor ambient light at non-
ridiculous shutter speeds.

OK, I just bought a Metz 54-Mz tonight, they found a "demo" SCA-321 in the drawer so the guy just threw it in for free ($50 value, but I buy lots of stuff from them anyway...)

So what's the best way to achieve flash heaven w/ the OM4(T) and 54-MMZ combo, for 1) indoor flash, <--- just set the thing to TTL and try to bounce? I also bought a little diffuser cap...

and
2) outdoor fill flash <-- I think I finally understand this one, set the aperture right below 1/60 and keep firing away :-), possibly w/ the taping over the contact hack?

Paul