Re: [OM] Final advice needed - Metz flash or not

Subject: Re: [OM] Final advice needed - Metz flash or not
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 00:08:33 -0800
Cc: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
At 02:15 AM 12/13/2002 -0500, Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:
For what it's worth, my opinion is you don't need more power if your subject
distance is "about 6 to 8 feet." as you stated on 12/10.  "Search out your
feeeeelings, Luke.  You know it to be true."   (Obligatory Star Wars quote)
You are using f4 on the F280.

Yup, I need better techniques!

Check the negs.  Is the face in the negative a medium tone or a deep,
near-black tone?

near-white, on the slides :-) Actually, to be fair, only a few have the worst problems, and now I understand why - the camera is too close, the subject is too far from the wall, and of course in one case, the subjects are outside in the dark. All recipes for disasters, so to speak.

...Lama,
who really liked Paul Farrar's solution.  I'll try that one.  He's talking
about a lighting ratio there and that's the control-oriented type of working
I'm interested in.  It may not be the "simple" solution you said you're
seeking though.

I don't mind the "tech" solution, as long as it can be done fast. The typical shooting arrangement is I'd stop a costumer who is on the way to whatever and I have to inconvenient them as short as possible. So for example manual calculation of distance, aperture etc. is best to be avoided.

I think I am getting better ideas to try though. One person wrote off list that he uses multiple flashes. All very good ideas. I bet I can tame this beast yet.

Thanks to all who answered!