Re: [OM] China suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] China suggestions
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:15:42 EST
Andrew, I will watch with interest the replies to your post, as I am going on
an organized tour (my first) to Ireland in August and will have a similar
arrangement of not having to mess with my luggage, only my camera gear.

It might be helpful to know what are the other choices of focal lengths.
Like CH Ling, I would like something a little longer.  I've been using and
liking a 180mm recently, however many of the zooms will give you that range.
I would also want a 2X and the Vivitar macro focusing probably being my
choice when looking for quality and bang for my buck.

Of the lenses you suggested, I would probably take the 21, 28, 50 (would make
mine the f1.4), 90/2.5 ,135mm as they all use 49mm filters and then I would
add a zoom or longer focal length telephoto.  The 75-150, 100-200 and the
200mm f5 all use 49mm filters and with the possible exception of the 200mm f5
should be available for under $100.

An adequate kit, might include the Tamron 60-300mm, Zuiko 28-48mm and Zuiko
50mm f1.4.  We know, no self respecting Zuikoholic would consider carrying
such a kit, however it would allow one to change lenses less frequently and
"enjoy the ride" a bit more.

Now that I've suggested all these lenses that use the same filter size, let
me say that for my trip and if I were going on yours I would want some "fast
glass."  That could be accomplished with the 50mm f1.4 and I would be tempted
to slip a f2 or two in my kit.  In fact that is what I'll do.  The really
"big & fast glass" will stay at home, however I'll have some stuff that
requires 55mm filters.

One thing I will consider is what will fit under an airplane seat or in the
overhead.  I sure wouldn't want to show up at the airport with my soft
case/back pack and be told I had to give it to the luggage gorillas to put in
luggage compartment because it was too big. It will be a long flight
agonizing flight if you stuff is in the bowels of the plane, rather than with
you. It will be a long flight regardless, but at least you can avoid the
agony part.

The tripod issue is one I haven't resolved yet.  Yes, I would like a carbon
fiber, however haven't decided to spring for the bucks yet.  I do carry a
table top tripod sometimes which can be helpful if I want to be in the
picture or for some macro work.  Have thought about a monopod and the carbon
fiber still calls out to me.

My 2 cents worth and then some.

Bill Barber