Re: [OM] 1/focal length, flash dilemma/question

Subject: Re: [OM] 1/focal length, flash dilemma/question
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:30:49 +0000
On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:23:13 +0800, Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Ok, I understand that the standard recommendation is not to drop below
>1/focal length.  What if my lens is a 90mm and I'm using a flash, and
>the sync is only 1/60th?  (like on my OM1n)?
>
>I'm not sure how the flash sync works; but if the flash is only 1/500th
>let's say, am I basically shooting at that shutter speed due to flash
>exposure time length?

The flash fires when the first curtain is fully open. Obviously, the
second curtain must not have started to close and the maximum speed at
which that condition is satisfied is 1/60 second on an OM1.

Provided the ambient lighting contributes little to the lighting of
the scene compared with the flash, there's no need to worry about the
shutter speed being lower than the "ideal" 1/focal length.

Regards

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)