Re: [OM] 1/focal length, flash dilemma/question

Subject: Re: [OM] 1/focal length, flash dilemma/question
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:18:57 +0000
On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:30:49 +0000, john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:23:13 +0800, Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:

>>I'm not sure how the flash sync works; but if the flash is only 1/500th
>>let's say, am I basically shooting at that shutter speed due to flash
>>exposure time length?
>
>The flash fires when the first curtain is fully open. Obviously, the
>second curtain must not have started to close and the maximum speed at
>which that condition is satisfied is 1/60 second on an OM1.
>
>Provided the ambient lighting contributes little to the lighting of
>the scene compared with the flash, there's no need to worry about the
>shutter speed being lower than the "ideal" 1/focal length.

I'm sorry, I didn't fully answer your question!  Your supposition is
correct - the flash duration governs the exposure time provided, as I
said, the flash is by far the dominant light source. Provided this is
true, for all practical purposes, you can forget about camera shake
and motion blur. The flash duration from auto flash guns is rarely
more than 1/1000 second at full power and can be far less than that
when quenched under auto control.

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)